RE: Changing differential - TR3

To: "'Angelo Graham'" <a3graham@admmail.uwaterloo.ca>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Changing differential - TR3
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 15:52:16 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Angelo :

I have absolutely no clue how Carl got his out without removing the backing
plate.  On my car, there does not appear to be any other way, except to
separate the body from the frame.

The good news is that the halfshafts come out fairly easy.  After removing
the brake lines, etc., there are six bolts that go through the axle flange,
through the backing plate, and into the bearing housing.  They aren't
particularly easy to get to, but probably won't be too rusty.  They do have
lock tabs that have to be turned (and maybe should be replaced). Once those
are out, you can remove the halfshaft complete with the hub, bearing housing
and bearing still attached.  The backing plate will most likely fall off <g>
ISTR there are shims you should keep track of.  No Churchill tool is
required, but be sure to turn the backing plates to the right position when
reassembling.

Randall
59 TR3A