Re: Painting suspension parts

To: econrad@teal.csn.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting suspension parts
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 05:55:42 PDT
>From: "econrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
>To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Painting suspension parts
>Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:40:50 -0600
>
>List-ers,
>
>I am disassembling my chassis suspension.  As this is happening, I'm
>considering the best paint (no powdercoating this time), and the best
>method
>of painting for the suspension parts.  I have very little rust on any
>parts,
>but what there is, I'll bead blast.  I will also de-rust everything.  What
>would my next step be?  Do I primer these parts (i.e. upper and lower
>A-arms, sway bar, ...) and then paint?  Do they need primer?
>
>My guess is that they will need a strong, chip resistant paint.
>
>Any thoughts are deeply appreciated.
>

>Eric Conrad
>Denver, CO
>econrad@teal.csn.net
>
>'76 TR6 (CF52678U) - stripped, and feeling a little shy about having
>everything exposed

Eric,

    I painted my suspension parts in my basement over a winter. I
    stripped the old paint with phosphoric acid prior to painting
    and used Rustoleum rusty metal primer, then two coats of
    Rustoleum gloss black. This was in 1986. The Rustoleum has held
    up remarkably well, since.

    I know it's not a trendy as say, powder coating but hey, I was on
    a budget and had no compressor.

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois     1962 TR4 (CT4852L)