'57 TR3 brake caliper cross pipes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '57 TR3 brake caliper cross pipes
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 13:56:17 -0600
To remove or not to remove?  That is the question.

My '57 TR3 has the type of calipers where a pipe joins the two
halves.  I am doing a nut-and-bolt restoration, and the little
character on one shoulder is telling me to remove the pipes and
replace them.  The character on the other shoulder says it's not
worth the potential heartache/expense that would result from ruining
one or both calipers.

(And then there are the visions of one of them popping when I stand
on the pedal  while watching a truck jackknife  on the road ahead of
me, and all the fluid in the single line brake system pouring out
onto the highway)

At any rate, I've been soaking the bleed screws, hose union and pipe
unions with repeated shots of PB blaster over the last few days.

What is the list's advice on whether to attempt removal of these
pipes or not?  I have no way of knowing whether these pipes have been
in place since 1957 or not.  On the one hand, if they've lasted this
long who's to say they won't last another 43 years, and on the other,
if they've lasted 43 years who's to say that they aren't ready to
burst, you know?

Advice, please.

Dan
Des Moines, Iowa -- where it could be early May, if one didn't know
it's still February.

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too. Runs & drives, but shakes
like crazy; needs new tires and a steering/suspension rebuild.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Needs an O. Undergoing frame-off restoration begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html

1988 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon. Gets me to work and back home again every day.
No home page. (go figure)