TR Stories

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR Stories
From: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:56:27 -0800
Hi everybody. Some of the stories about early TR experiences prompts me
to tell one about my first TR4A. I returned from Viet Nam in late '67
and was assigned to the airfield at Fort Mc Pherson, GA, just outside
Atlanta. A buddy from the First Cav. dropped by one weekend with a brand
new Lotus he had just pickled up in New York on his way to some post in
Florida. We spent the weekend zooming around Atlanta, and I made up my
mind that I would get some sort of sports car when I got out in February
1968. Arriving home back in LA, Ca., my dad loaned me his Body Shop
delivery car, an old Morris Minor, with a tow bar on the front. The
engine blew up one day on Ventura Blvd. in the Valley, and I was towed
into a british car dealer for repairs. The new TR250s were in the
showroom, and I examined them while I waited for a ride home. The
salesman then suggested a used TR4A outside on the lot. It was a BRG '66
TR4A with about 60,000 miles. I was skeptical with the high miles, but
he whips out a receipt for a rebuilt engine from a shop in Venice, Ca.
It said, one performance engine rebuild, and a long list of parts. They
gave me $100.00 for the Morris, and put in 300.00 more for the down. As
I remember, it was about $1000.00 cheaper then the new TR250. One
evening a couple of weeks later, I pulled up to a signal next to a new
TR250. Being a wise ass, I revved my engine, and when the light turned,
we both took off. That 4A ate the 250, it wasn't even close. The poor
guy pounded on the steering wheel in frustration. I guess that TR4A was
a little quicker than most, and I drove it fast and furious during the
next few years. I'm happy that I have another one just like it, and
though it's restored, it's not nearly as powerful. Jerry Oliver,
Olympia, WA.