Re: Silicon Brake fluid (mushy pedal)

To: "Barry Schwartz" <bschwart@pacbell.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Silicon Brake fluid (mushy pedal)
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:37:14 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
If the pedal is mushy, it's because there still might be some air in the
system.  I just converted to DOT5 a month ago and I'm very pleased.  My
Spitfire is an early '67 which has the single line system.  There's no going
back to DOT 4 for me.

I've also heard (but cannot verify) that using steel braided brake hoses
provide less flex when the pedal is stepped on, thus a tighter brake pedal
feel.

FYI, I was noticing yesterday how the brake pedal on my New Beetle Turbo
feels "spongy", but it sure can stop on a dime.  I think that sometimes,
people have an unrealistic expectation of how a brake pedal is supposed to
feel.  It's not supposed to feel like a solid rock when you first step on
it -- but it sure shouldn't go to the floor, either.

My two cents.

Cheers,

Jeff in San Diego