RE: Parts Washers Con't (the fluid)

To: walker05@camosun.bc.ca, kmr@pil.net
Subject: RE: Parts Washers Con't (the fluid)
From: DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:01:45 -0800 charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: peterz@merak.com, triumphs@autox.team.net

Both the "before and "after" solution are problems. Generally speaking the
Grease and Oil (G&O) survive albeit in a dispersed form in the used
solutions. In really contaminated used degreasers heavy metals become the
problem. It should be noted that even biodegradable cleaning solutions are
not non toxic even in their original form. Any of them discharged directly
to aquatic environments can kill the resident lifeforms. So, treatment is
the ticket here. And you ask, "Pray tell..how does one treat?" Simple
answer... use the biodegradable and if your community offers a "Household
Hazardous Waste Day" take it there for free legal disposal or if you live in
an area served by sanitary sewer and Waste Water Treatment Plant, discharge
could be to a home sewer drain thus to the WWTP where treatment removes or
neutralizes most of the problematic pollutants. Storm drains are off limits
as they usually discharge direct to creeks, lakes, rivers, ocean etc w/no
treatment. Now here's the proviso... if you are a business don't try this
without a permit from your WWTP ...businesses discharging to a sanitary
sewer must be permitted for process discharges in U.S. (and most other
industrialized countries). Limits are applied to allowable discharge
pollutant parameters (individual heavy metals, toxic organics, G&O. Lots of
businesses discharging lots of pollutants have been known to cause real
problems at WWTPs. And NO, businesses can not avoid permitting or penalties
by taking their wastes home and discharging them. Because the risk from
individual homeowners is generally small they are generally exempt from
these regulations.

At all costs avoid those cleaners that contain heavy duty solvents (Methyl
Ethyl Ketone (MEK), trichlorethylene, perchlorethylene et al). These are
lethal to aquatic life and very problematic substances in waste water
treatment. Also NEVER dispose of flammable or explosive materials to a storm
or sanitary sewer. Flammable materils in a closed pipe = big bomb.

In situations where septic tank(s) are in use care must be taken (naturally
occuring bacteria are working to degrade the contents). Small quantities
over a period of time are the ticket here so as not to kill or inhibit
bacterial action in the septic system.

This is my business folks and I hope the info helps. Responsible action is
the key here. Any questions will be gladly answered on or off list.

Deano
Environmental Compliance Officer
City of Santa Rosa