TR-3 Miscellany

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR-3 Miscellany
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@lightspeed.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:15:44 -0800
I have two TR-3A's and have a variety of obscure questions.

1. On TS72747LO my front snout (apron panel) doesn't fit correctly. The
apron came off of another TR-3A and judging by the "TRIUMPH" letter holes,
it is a post-60,000 apron. The tie member that originally was on the car
mounts to the apron, but not to the mounts on top of the fender wells. They
are about 1/2 inch about the mounts. I could force them down, but then the
apron would not fit flush with fenders and beading. Should I coerce it? Make
a new tie member? Does it really help ridgedity any anyway?

2. On TS72747LO the engine runs strong and doesn't burn oil, good
compression, etc. (pretty good after being abandoned in a field for 10
years). However, it spews oil out the rear seal as you drive it. About a
quart every 100 miles. It drips out when parked too. It may just be residual
that was in the bell housing. It is not coming from the pan or oil filter.
Is there anything that I can do other than pull the engine and disassemble
it?

3. On TS75407 (which was given to me for free if I would just get it out of
the wife's garage), there are door panels and a glove box that are made from
aluminum instead of millboard/vinyl. They are quality pieces with the
aluminum carefully formed and finished, and all pieces spot welded. They
look professional. Any ideas where they come from? Does anybody else have
them on their TR's? The door panels were installed with a painted black
finish.

4. How do you attach the cable assembly to the striker mechanism for the
door pulls on a TR-3A? I am thinking about a very short clevis pin, a
crimped-on fitting and some JB weld.

5. I have access to an A-type overdrive unit, but it doesn't have the
transmission with it - just the OD unit by itself. Does anyone have an
overdrive 4 speed transmission without the overdrive unit that they would
part with? Also, does anyone have an A-type overdrive transmission with
overdrive unit that they would sell outright? If so, please email me without
cc-ing everybody.

6. Heresy aside, I was at British Motors of San Luis Obispo last week. There
is always good stuff for sale (new/used parts, cars, repairs). They had an
MGTD that had sat for 30 years in a garage. It was partially disassembled,
but the engine was rebuilt. The chrome shines up and the car has no rust. He
wanted $6000. I would have bought it if I hadn't already had a project car.
Call Peter Jurgens at 805-544-2277.

Many thanks,

Bill Brewer
Tehachapi, CA