Re: Turning Rotors

To: "Wayne Brazinski" <wbrazinski@mediaone.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turning Rotors
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:13:35 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
The comments on the pattern left on the brake rotor started me thinking.
The "swirling" pattern, if its what I am thinking it is, is typical of one
left by a grinding wheel when the side of the wheel is doing the cutting,
rather than the periphery of the wheel.  The mark left by a single point
cutting tool is actually a spiral, the pitch of which is detrmined by the
tools feed rate acroos the face of the rotor.  After all these years of
having rotors turned (which, by definition, implies that a single point
cutting tool is used), I am wondering if, in fact, some so called "turned"
rotors are actually ground?  Can anyone confirm this?

As an added kicker, a worn single point tool bit will "chatter", which will
leave a pattern on the face of the rotor that could be construed as a
"swirl".  Maybe we are also seeing this?