Spitfire Oil Filter - anti drainback

To: Day.John@fin.gc.ca, amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Spitfire Oil Filter - anti drainback
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:01:40 EDT
Cc: Chip19474@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/25/1999 10:51:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Day.John@fin.gc.ca writes:

>   However, this is still a possibility in that whatever filter you are
>   currently using (Chip) does not have provision for
>  "anti-drain-back".

I've been going thru some filter evaluation.
I had some Fram PH8A's with and without the anti drainback flappervalve...
different vintages I assume.

Switched to Mobil 1 (M1-301 I think) equivalent with the anti drainback...

I noticed, with my frequent oil changes, that even the anti drainback filters
were drained after a few days of sitting.  There's nothing to stop the oil
from proceeding thru the oil galleries to the crank and to the pan.

So what's the purpose of these anti drainback items and why the concern?

Clark