Spit Engine Codes & Dist Question - a little long

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit Engine Codes & Dist Question - a little long
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:32:02 EDT
Hello List,

I decided to have a go at correcting a borderline ping in the Spit that shows
up when I have a passenger and the outside temp is in the high 80's +.  As I
glanced through the Haynes Manual for the timing specs I noticed that all of
the pictures of crankshafts show the TDC mark on the crankshaft and the
timing markings on a plate attached to the timing chain cover.....my
situation is exactly the opposite - I have timing numbers for ADTC and BTDC
etched on my crank; all that's on the timing cover is a metal pointer....

So I started to wonder if the engine is a 1296cc (which it should be) versus
perhaps an 1147cc....I know I could order a Build Certificate but that might
not help if the engine was replaced.  The engine number is FE79710E.....I
checked a few Spit sites and couldn't find any engine info...does anyone know
if this a 1296cc engine?

Question #2 - How many degrees does each click of the distributor vernier
yield?  Neither the Haynes nor the Owners Manual give me this info.  I'm
guessing that each click may be a fraction of a degree....I always found this
adjustor to be a great tool to fine tune timing....

TIA,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)
'70 Spitfire Mk3  FDU78512L  (Fun Driver!)