Re: "Stupid Car"

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>
Subject: Re: "Stupid Car"
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:08:05 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Kai M. Radicke wrote:

> Bruno the TR6 has been put away until the next driving season now that I'm
> off at school.  However, apparently in a last ditch effort to avoid being
> put into hibernation, Bruno decided to give me a handful of incidents last
> week.
>
> Earlier last week I attempted to put on a new sway bar, well that wouldn't
> have been any problem at all if I could have gotten my floor jack under the
> front cross member.  The fact that I couldn't boggled my mind, as just days
> previous I had used the same jack at the same location without trouble.
> It's like the car decided to lower itself and give no reasons why.
> Solution: put some 2x4s infront of the wheels, drive up on those, then jack
> it up and secure properly with jackstands after removing 2x4s.
>
> All fine and dandy.  So later in the week, as I'm getting ready to leave, I
> need to do shopping... lots of it.  Three malls within 20minutes of home,
> and I made numerous trips to each.  During one of my stops back home I
> notice a large egg shaped (at least 6" wide and 12" long) oil stain in the
> driveway where I had the car parked, and another in another location where I
> parked a different day.  Hmmm.  Start the car, let it idle and I watch for
> any drips... none.  But I'm down a quart or so, so I throw one in... and
> check agian, nothing.  I later determine that the oil is leaking out after
> the car is shutoff, as I find an oil spot in the mall parking lot which
> wasn't their before my arrival.
>
> Friday comes, the last day I have to drive the TR6.  Forecast calls for
> rain - lots of it - but for the last few hours it has just been gray sky and
> drizzle.  Make a run to the mall (again), and on the way back it starts to
> rain a bit heavier (top down of course, but not raining hard enough to get
> me too wet).  Flip the wipers on, and the lights had already been on.  I
> watch as the voltage meter dives below 12V.  Hmmm... Make it home from that
> mall without incident.  It stops raining by the time I reach home.
>
> In the meantime, I grab my multimeter and while the car is idling I check to
> see if the alternator is putting out any thing.  It sure is, ~13.6 volts...
> rev the motor a bit, and it goes up slightly.  Battery checks out at 12.55
> or so volts when the car is off (new battery, 2 months old).
>
> It is afternoon now, about four and a half hours before I leave, so I run
> over to my girlfriend's; pick her up and make one last trip to a different
> mall to purchase a few last minute items.  As I arrive at her house, the
> drizzle turns a bit heavier and I decide to put the top up.  Janine wanders
> out, and says "it's okay, it isn't that heavy... leave it down" (this is why
> I like her!).  I realize that I have left my wallet at home, run back
> there... as I drive up the street and downshift into 2nd gear about 10
> meters from my drive way, the car dies, as if someone shut it off.  I have
> [...]

Kai,

Perhaps that's just 'Bruno' showing his Italian - er, British temperament.

First I'd drive it again when everything dries out - amazing what water
gremlins do to
electrical stuff.

Also, IMHO that voltage at the battery seems a little low.  Perhaps one of the
diodes
in the rectifier is shot.  Alt. will still put out good voltage, but amperage
will be
reduced - possibly leading to the slow drain on the battery as witnessed by the
gauge.  If there's someone close to where the car is, see if they can put a
battery
charger with current sensing switch on it.  If everything's OK, charger should
shut
itself off in a few minutes.  If charger stays on for longer, your alt. isn't
putting
out enough current to keep up.

Good luck!

100% Triumph content - sic Henry ;-)   Also notice I resisted the temptation to
comment on Kai's avoidance of the wet T-shirt contest through his noble gesture
of
dropping off his girlfriend at the door to the mall so she wouldn't get wet. OK
-  95%
TR content. ;-)

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars