RE: we don't need no steenkin' navigation system

To: "'Michael D. Porter'" <mporter@zianet.com>
Subject: RE: we don't need no steenkin' navigation system
From: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 06:47:25 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'Scions of Stanpart'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
No, they meant weeks.  The weeks counter goes to 1024 and then rolls over to
0. Some GPS devices did not have the programming adjusted to figure in the
rollover. Thus when August 21, 1999 at 8:00 P.M. ET (8/22/99 0000GMT)
arrived it thought it was January 6, 1980 and calculated position wrong.
They have been alerting pilots and boats for a while now. It wasn't just
Japanese cars, it was all GPS.  Most units manufactured in about 93 were
ready for the rollover. Also the time does not originate in the unit, its
transmitted from the satellite, so the baseline for the 0 time comes from
when the military turned GPS on for the first time, January 6, 1980.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L(O)  W4UCK