Re: Captive Nuts

To: BILL_ANDERSON@HP-USA-om12.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Captive Nuts
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:26:19 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 BILL_ANDERSON@HP-USA-om12.om.hp.com wrote:

> While removing the rear fenders (wings) on my TR4A, I broke off several of
>the
> bolts holding the fenders to the "B" post. I tried drilling, EZ-out and heat,
> to no avail. I finally succeeded in heating the post hot enough (cherry red)
> that I was able to remove the captive nut. My question
> for the list is what do you use as replacements for these nuts? I am sure
>that
> I am not the first to experience this and what is the best solution for
> re-hanging the fenders (wings)

When I redid my B-Post I brazed nuts onto the sheet steel from the inside.
If you can't get onto the inside of the post, you could cut all around the
nut and weld in a plate with new nut installed.  (That's what I'm going to
do on the passengers' side, where I too have busted a bunch of the bolts)

With care you can also weld the nuts to sheet metal (much more difficult
than braze, but won't fall off when you weld the plate into the post).
Probably easy with a MIG welder, but I don't have one o' those.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm