State of the Triumph list... and good "netiquette" very long... my apol

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: State of the Triumph list... and good "netiquette" very long... my apologies
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:32:39 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers..

"Hi, my name's Jim and I practice bad list netiquette"

Ok, having admitted that, let me see if I can make a meaningful suggestion
to help "heal" the recent wounds on the list.

Firzt off, we're all voluntary members of this list.  Everyone has their own
personal reason for joining but I think I can come up with some general
categories to define who's here and why.

There are those who are technically oriented who find the information in the
factory manuals/Bentley Manuals/Haynes/?? to be insufficient to explain the
particular malady their car is exhibiting and hope to find someone else with
insight here on the list.

There are those who like to be teachers and share their
(days/months/years/decades/eons) experience with those who are new to the
experience in the hope of helping and making Triumph admiration and
ownership the joy it should have been from day one.

There are those who are fascinated by the cars (fanatics?) who are
interested in everything to do with the automotive name Triumph, both
technical and social.

There are those who are interested in the social aspect of the cars and wish
to share their unique and common experiences with others with the same
interest.

There are those who view this list as a potential source of the bits/pieces
needed to complete or perfect their cars... or as a way to get rid of their
spare bits.

There are those who are looking for stimulating conversation who also happen
to like Triumphs... so this is a common meeting ground.

I hope I've covered all the reasons why people have joined the list...
although I'm sure people will let me know what reasons I've missed  :-)

I really don't want to split the group any further... that makes it even
harder to keep a finger on the pulse of the Triumph community.  So the only
way to cater to all the diverse groups with the current volume of messages
is to keep messages focused via the subject line.  In this way there are
other mailing lists on Team.Net that are a bit more successful at keeping
discussions focused.. such as the Mini list.

Before you all say it, yes, there is a delete key.  Since March of this year
I've recieved over 8000 messages from the Triumphs list alone.. even with a
delete key there's still alot to wade through so not to miss good content.

Sorry for the long post... but I'd prefer to see meaningful conversation on
the list on any topic than any infighting for any reason.  Let's battle on
the autocross course instead  :-)

Cheers,

Jim