bio, finally

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: bio, finally
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:54:24 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I guess it is my turn.  I have truly enjoyed the others.

Name: Bill Miller
Age: 34
Married 10 years, with one son (7) and three daughters (5,2,9 months) and
therefore very little time to work on my projects.
Home: Anderson, Indiana, USA

Went to Purdue University for a million years (actually 6) working full time
and earning a degree in computer science.  Used to own my own company,
specializing in CADD, but since the IRS decided they wanted a too big of the
piece of pie, I now am a general manager of an industrial sheet metal shop
called Air Equipment and Engineering.  We engineer, design, manufacture, and
install dust collectors, paper trim systems, and collection systems.  Air
Equipment & Engineering, Inc. specializes in pneumatic conveying and
separating systems and perform both system and equipment design for a
variety of industries and industrial suppliers.  It is the typical,
stressful, managerial position, but I can use all the metal working
equipment, so I can make the parts I need for my projects!

I acquired my love for LBC's honestly.  I remember Dad always having a
spitfire or midget around.  I can remember at least two spitfires, a MG
Midget, an Austin Healy 3000, a box sprite, and Austin America for sure.
I'm sure we had others.

My first car that was truly mine was a 1969 yellow triumph spitfire.  I got
this car as a Christmas present in 1979.  Dad bought this from a Judge in
Carmel, Indiana that raced SCCA.  Therefore, it was modified and tuned, had
a camber compensator, and ran like greased light'ning.  That is the car I
learned "auto mechanics" on.  I remember driving it for a week or two, then
spending a weekend working on it with Dad.  By the time I was 17 I had
rebuilt a transmission, an  overdrive, and a 1296.  Boy, I was hard on that
car, driving it like a racecar all the time.

Speaking of racing, I raced quarter midgets for several, several years.
Held several track records, won several championships, and one grand
national heat in 1976.  But I had the two best mechanics in the QMA; my Dad
and Uncle.  It was a lot of work, but a total blast.  One sprint race with a
buddy's car, and a couple SCCA events.  It's pretty neat to see the people I
raced with back then names show up on ESPN in the IRL Indy, NASCAR, USAC,
etc.

My current LBC collection consists of a 78 Triumph Spitfire 1500 that I am
going to make a little "hot" and a 61 Austin Healey Sprite.  I'm keeping my
eyes open for a later sixties spitfire and a  TR4 going cheap with a decent
frame and body!   I'm not sure if it was an early "mid-life" crisis or what,
but last fall, I decide I HAD to get another spitfire.  I hadn't had
anything "fun" since 1983, my last spit.  I watched the trader for a few
weeks and found one close (the 78).  It had been stored since the mid 80's,
no idea whether it would run or not, body not *that* bad, so I went home,
got the trailer, and brought it home.  I'm really not to sure how pleased my
wife was.  Hindsight says that I should have passed this one.  Part of the
frame was rotted, but I am slowly getting it to shape.  Mechanically, it is
now sound!  It sounds great.  I need to finish the frame and body and drive
it!  My goal was to have it completely done by VTR this year, but with four
kids, I wasn't even close.  By next summer for sure!  When I am done with
her, she's going to be yellow with an offset black stripe.  I can't wait.  I
stumbled on the AH Sprite by accident.  I really had a desire to drive a
LBC.  Liked the "Austin Healey" name, and said, what the heck!  Picked it up
took it home.  Luckily, my wife really loves this "cute" (her words) little
car.  And I drive it every weekend it doesn't rain.  I really need to redo
the brake hydraulics, but it will most likely be a winter project.

Long term goals consist of getting my son interested in LBC's and turning
wrenches.  He's a great helper now, but I long for the day when I can say,
"Hey Wes, go balance the carbs for me!"  I would also like to build a big
garage and own one of each to the types of Spitfires.  I would also like to
start racing again.  But right now I want to concentrate on being a good
father and husband.  I'll have more time to play later.  But I still want
that cheap roundtail and TR4 now!

These autox.team.net lists (and members) are great.  I truly think that the
amount of information and availability of parts are better today than they
were when triumph/BL was around!

Bill