Re: wiring 59 T/R 3-A

Subject: Re: wiring 59 T/R 3-A
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 06:49:11 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Fred :

This sounds suspiciously like a joke, but I'll give you the benefit ...

The dash lights are _supposed_ to come on only when both the dash light
and tail light switches are on.  IOW, the dash light switch stays on all
the time, and the dash lights only come on when you have the tail lights
or head lights on.  The dash light switch is only useful when you are
driving in extreme darkness (no moon, no street lights, etc.) and don't
want the dash lights on so your eyes can adjust to the darkness better.

There is a red wire from terminal 51 of the headlight switch (which is
the tail light contact) to the dash light switch.  And two red/white
wires from the other side of the dash light switch, one goes to the two
panel lights, the other runs over to the 4 lights in the speedo and
tach.

Brake lights are a separate problem.  Most likely, your pressure switch
is bad.  (As with so many other things, the originals lasted 30 years or
more, replacements seem to last 5 years or less.)  There is a green wire
that carries switched ignition voltage from the side terminal on the
fuse block through a bullet connector below the carbs to the pressure
switch mounted on the RH frame rail.  Then a green with purple wire runs
from the switch, through another bullet connector, to the rear stop
lamps.

All this is from the Haynes manual, which of course only has the diagram
for a TR3, not A.  However, the wires on my car match, even if the color
codes are uncertain.

Randall
59 TR3A