Re: Bio's

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bio's
From: Brad Kahler <bkahler@omc.ja.dtra.mil>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 00:54:57 -1000
Well listers, I guess its my turn in the barrel!  I'm 42, going on 32
and some would probably say 22.

I was raised in Lincoln Nebraska which is also where I call home after
having lived off and on in Denver for 12 years.  For the last 20 years
or so I've been doing work as an Automation Engineer.  Basically if you
see an Industrial Plant, I'm one of those people that makes the stuff in
side work.  I enjoy the work when I don't have to sit in an office.
Sitting in an office drives me stir crazy!  I refuse to wear a tie
(don't know how you did it Fred!) and have quit a job for that reason
before.

Got my start with Triumphs shortly after high school when I spotted this
funny looking little yellow car for sale parked in someone's drive way.
I went round the block and came back to look at it.  The owner told me
it was a 1963 Triumph Spitfire.  I had neither seen nor heard of Triumph
cars before that day.  I looked the car over and without even test
driving it paid him the $500 asking price.  When I came back later that
day he had a bunch of stuff laying on the lawn beside the car.  When I
asked what that stuff was he said, well this thing here is the soft top
and to put it on you undo these four bolts that hold the hardtop to the
car and......well you get the picture.  I didn't know I was buying a
convertible!  For over two years I drove that car year round.  I loved
it, my girlfriend loved it and it did great in snow and everything else.

Only had two real problems driving it.  One was on the gravel roads in
rural Nebraska the center ruts get rather deep.  The low lying spitfire
would kind of get hung up on these at times and I'd have to have my
passenger get out and push!  The other was the typical Lucas problems,
loose connections, flaky coils and the like.  Eventually I had to sell
the car before I moved to Colorado and have regretted that decision ever
since.

Anyway, this is getting way to long so I'll wrap it up by saying that
after my divorce in 1984 (sorry Ken, didn't know you then!) my dad told
me to go out and do what I wanted to do for a change.  Guess what, I
bought another mk1 Spitfire!  Been going like gang busters ever since,
but then thats another story.......!

Brad
(currently freezing my butt off on a tropical island)

64 Spitfire Mk1
59 TR3A
59 TR3A (not sure what to do with it)
59 TR3A (parts car?, trailer?, money pit?)
61 TR4  (currently undergoing the knife)
51 Dodge 1/2 ton truck  (also under the knife)
xx Mayflower  (hopefully someday!)