RE: Altitude and Carbs

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Altitude and Carbs
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:17:28 -0400
Cc: Jack Radley <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM> charset=ISO-8859-1
Jack Radley writes:
>Bud:
>
>This is a follow up to non-altitude comments you made regarding carbs.
>
>In my continuing carb adventure as soon as I felt I had my problems solved
>by adjusting the mixture, I too encountered very high idle speeds.  When
>cruising at 2000 RPM, if I got off the gas and pushed the clutch in the
car
>stayed at 2000 RPM.  It was like something was stuck open.  So far I have
>done the following to my car:
>
>       Rebuild by mechanic changing needles (B1AF), diaphragms, etc.
>       Turned the idle trim screw all the way in.
>       Attempted to use colortune - can't get a blue flame.
>       Adjusted mixture to the point of getting very close to passing the
>lift the air valve test
>       New plugs, rotor, and cap
>       ATF in the dashpots
>       Checked the vacuum by pulling hose off distributor and plugging -
>RPM went to about 1300
>       At this point, my carbs are adjusted to about 1 to 1/2 a turn from
>full rich
>
>I am continually swapping one problem for another.  I either get a rough
>engine pulling away from a start, or rough running between 1500 and 2500
>RPM, or fairly good running but a 2000 RPM idle.  My problems seem to come
>up an hour or so into a drive once things have really warmed up under the
>hood.  I have done nothing with the temperature compensator to this point.
>
>Any advice.

Jack,

Have you tried blocking off the Decell valves?  These are the valves on
the right side (I think) of the carb very near the throttle plates.  There
are
dighrams in these and their purpose is to open when the vacuum gets
very high but sometimes they hang open causing similar problems.

Take them off, cut some gaskets that will block off the whole thing
(make holes for the screws) and reinstall.  If the problem persists
then start looking elsewhere but if it goes away, you have a choice:
repair or replace them or leave them blocked off.

Good luck

Dave Massey (neutered by Beau)