Re: Theft Proofing

To: dynamic@transport.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Theft Proofing
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:51:32 EDT
In a message dated 8/13/99 8:04:17 AM EST, dynamic@transport.com writes:

> Due to the apparent ineffectiveness of car alarms, I've always thought it
>  might be MORE useful to rig up a motion sensor system that would be
>  situated in the driver's footbox, and this motion sensor, when activated,
>  would transmit a signal to a receiver-type device that could be either
>  carried on your person, and this device would then discretely notify you
>  that something is going on.

Pete,

I have a similar system in my TR6. I have both an alarm system AND a pager
module, both commercially available. The pager is tied in to the alarm
system, and I have a hidden switch to shut off the alarm siren when I'm in a
location that I think the siren would be ineffective or a nuisance. For
example, often when parked in a restaurant parking lot, there are a few
ignorant #$%@!!s that think nothing of opening the doors on my car. Having
the pager allows me to politely(?) explain to them how inconsiderate and rude
it is to open the doors on a stranger's car, even if it is nothing but an old
LBC, yet I don't annoy others with the siren. Also, if the thief should find
the wire to the siren and cut it, I still get notified.

I also have an electric fuel pump tied in to the alarm system, such that the
fuel pump is deactivated when the alarm is on. I Also have a hidden switch to
cut off the pump just in case a clever thief figures out how to defeat the
alarm.

Details are available if any one is interested.

As for the rifle idea, I prefer a hidden claw in the driver's seat cushion
set up to seek out and remove small, round, fleshy items. Fear of false
triggering prevents me from actually doing it (I break out in a cold sweat
just thinking about it).

Dan Masters,
Atlanta, GA (spending more quality time with the world's greatest Grandson)