Re: TR5, TR6 or Big Six Triumph

To: <dstauffa@csc.com>
Subject: Re: TR5, TR6 or Big Six Triumph
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:44:39 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>

>Let me second that!  I can definitely state that after owning a TR3 and 4
TR6s',
>driving my PI TR6 is a bigger kick in the pants!  The engine has a "bark"
to it
>(although I do still love hearing the sound of a North American TR6 engine)

Me too - and despite the power difference, the US TR6 was still a great car.
I loved them - especially in towns where the plugs didn't oil up as injected
cars tended to do. That could be overcome by throwing a set of NGK's at
them.
 with

There are a few listers on this
>side of the pond who own and drive PI TRs, e.g., Eric Q and Chris B. who
might
>share these same sentiments.
>As for maintenance, I must say that it is relatively hassle free.  I had my
>system overhauled by a TR workshop in the UK.  I just reinstalled it - a
basic
>nuts and bolts operation.  To adjust/tune the PI, all that was necessary
was to
>calibrate the throttle butterflies and idle air flow - all very easy
compared to
>messing with the carbs on my other TRs.

Obviously you didn't have to check the metering unit timing as it comes off
the dog shaft on the dizzy? Not a problem to do but it can make one BIG
difference even if you get it slightly out of sync.

If this is all that I have to do for
>the next 30K miles (at which point I expect to have routine maintenance
>performed) then the PI system will have proven itself to be one of great
value!

Dave, its almost a 'set it up and forget it' type of system. Being virtually
100% mechanical (apart from the pump motor at the back end) it won't - or
shouldn't go 'out of tune.' Sadly the system was condemned by many people
who suffered at the hands of mechanics who thought they knew what they were
doing - but didn't. Just DON'T fiddle with the cold start control on the
back of the metering unit. Those same mechanics did just that and the
results were inevitable.

Have fun

Jonmac