TRF Summer Party

To: "Steve Thornton" <TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com>
Subject: TRF Summer Party
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 14:52:22 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Aug 9, Steve wrote:

That TR5 is Charles Runyan's car (TRF proprietor).
I had the chance to drive it on Saturday from TRF to the Drive-In. As you
might expect, the car was very tight. What impressed me the most though was
the additional "spirit" of a PI (Petrol Injection) car.

Great isn't it - the way that back end sits down, wheels splay out - and
you're OFF!

However, the acceleration of the 6 is nothing like the response of the PI
TR5!

Depends what 6 you're talking about. The TR6PI's were just the same = same
engine.

After saying all that, I can rebuild the carbs on my car or send them off
and
have them back inside 2 weeks for around $300. I can only imagine what it
would cost to sort out the PI if problems develop.

Believe me, if you look after the system, it's not expensive to maintain. My
recently acquired injected saloon has had a MAJOR re-work of the fuel system
because the car has been standing for about five years - and the whole thing
was in urgent need of a total overhaul. Trunk mounted pump, pump motor and
pressure relief valve were in pretty good shape and needed hardly any
overhauling, except for cleaning of gunge and a bit of built-up varnish.
Injectors were sad - all very dribbly but after new Viton seals and
recalibration, they're just as good as ever. The sorry story was the
metering unit driven off the dizzy. The rotor was badly pitted with rust and
had to have a new one fitted and the shuttle was cleaned up too. My original
parts came back looking brand new and they all went together and were
re-timed with nary a problem. Set up the airflow through the venturis with a
stethoscope (then checked with an airflow meter) and my hearing and hiss
detector of the left ear'ole seems to be OK after 55 years. Total cost
including the dreaded sales tax and carriage? GBP287 or US$430. I don't plan
on any more work for quite a number of years. The downside is fuel cons at
25mpg with the last vestiges of leaded gas in the UK costing about US$5.30 a
gallon. Still, I try not to think about that - it spoils the fun.

Still, injected TR5, TR6 or Big Six Triumph saloon, it's arguably the best
fun behind a Triumph wheel that I know of with your clothes on.

Jonmac