* Distributer Connections *

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: * Distributer Connections *
From: "Wayne Brazinski" <wbrazinski@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 23:02:19 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi!

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm blowed if I can find
the answer in my email archives.

The auld girl is finally ready to start (hopefully!).  When I rebuilt the
ignition I replaced the distributor parts (points, HT wires, condenser etc.)
and added a new coil.  Today when I tried to start the car I could not get a
spark.  I noticed that the wire coming off the distributor (white with black
stripe?) was disconnected.  Not really thinking I attached it to the -ve
terminal of my new coil.  The (white) wire coming out of the wiring harness
(drivers side inner fender) was connected to the +ve terminal of the coil.
The new coil only has -ve and +ve labeling on the spade connectors (no sw
and bg label).

As soon as I turned on the ignition smoke started pouring out of the
distributor!!  I thought the car was on fire!  After getting things under
control I realized that the wire which runs from the points / condenser
junction to a plastic fitting (connects to the white wire with the black
stripe) was burned out like a fuse!!  I have replaced the wire, and now have
the following questions!

a) Where does the white wire with black stripe go on my new coil - +ve
or -ve?
b) Where does the white wire from the wiring harness go ?
c) Where can I get a good fire extinguisher? - just kidding :-)
d) Is anything else likely to have been destroyed by my "mistake"?

There used to be a spark before I tried to "fix what wasn't broke"!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

regards,

Wayne