Re: what bugs me about $7500 tr3

To: bob simmons <bsimmons@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: what bugs me about $7500 tr3
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 15:36:37 -0400
I finished a 5 year job of restoration on my TR3 last fall. Since then, I've
had no end of fun with it, in spite of the fact that it now needs some
engine work, which limits how much I can drive it.

A few points:

Restoration vs: purchase - I get half my kicks from the before and after
pics of my car, and enjoy telling people that I did everything on the car
myself. To me, this more than makes up for the time spent. Also, since I've
taken what amounts to scrap metal and made it whole, if anything does happen
to the car, I know I can fix it again. This is one reason the engine
condition doesn't bother me much; come fall (once Iget my other project out
of the garage), I'l strip and rebuild it.

Why someone sells - many people find a TR3 (or up to TR6 for that matter) a
bit of a rough ride compared to an MGB or more "civilized" ride. Or it's not
fast enough. Or too loud. Or handles badly. Or costs too much to keep up.
Or.... (fill in the blank). A TR3 is not a modern car in any sense of the
word, and many people are not prepared for it or get tired of it.

Concours? - I added seat belts. GOt them at J.C. Whitney, because neither
TRF or Moss carry them for the TR3 right now. They're waiting for repro's of
the originals to become available. I painted the frame and rear drums black,
and left the front calipers natural. I painted the car Brooklands Green
(1970's MG color) and trimmed it out in tan interior, seats, hood and
tonneu, desipte the fact that this is not an original color for 1957. You do
what you like, so that it holds your interest. You can always redo it later.