Re: TR 4A Cam selection

To: David Whitelaw <slasher_dw@yahoo.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: TR 4A Cam selection
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 17:46:54 -0400
Oops, I forgot to say I have a TR4A.  I like your information.
What do you notice at the low rpm range when driving in town.
I often drive at low speeds on flat grades in the 2000-3000
range.  What loss  of low end do you see?

It would be very interesting to see dyno info for the various cam selections.

Where did you get your "D" cam?
What you have done with your engine is very much like what I want to
do to mine.  WHat did you have to do with the carbs?

-Tony

Message text written by David Whitelaw
>I don't know what car you have, but I put a "D" ralley
cam in my TR4-A, milled the head to 10:1 and did some
porting (ala the Triumph Racing Manual) and am very
satisfied.  I figure a least +20 hp increase with only
a 4 mph reduction around town (i.e. 20 instead of 24).
Also I had to reduce the timing to -8 deg before TDC
(spec is -6 deg) and run the highest test gas (92 oct).
 The "D" ralley cam I beleve is roughly equilivant to a
STD USA 3/4 racing cam.

David G. Whitelaw (slasher_dw@yahoo.com)<