RE: Crane vs MSD

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Crane vs MSD
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 07:29:02 -0400

Keith Ehrlich wrote:

....They also said the Crane units
are solid state and can be damaged by leaving the ignition on for
extended periods of time while the MSD's are digital and do not suffer
this damage potential.....

I did suffer this problem with my second LBC with a Crane ignition.  Left the
ignition on while trouble shooting on the car's electrical system and fried the
Crane's box.   One of the reasons why I am considering a Crane for my future
nonLBC winter vehicle is that then I will always have a spare box available.
Fortunately 20 years ago I purchased a self contained electronic ignition unit
(proverbial black box, still works!) from J.C. Whitney that is very valuable in
diagnosing ignition problems by being able to bypass the vehicle ignition.