Re: how do I patch leaking gas tank

To: Winnie Olmer <who@sover.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: how do I patch leaking gas tank
From: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 11:15:50 -0700
I'm a bit worried that you might make a very dangerous mistake in
attempting to repair your gas tank. Under no circumstances should you
weld or solder on your tank at home. Even after cleaning at a radiator
shop, the gasoline fumes may be explosive. The fuel cannot be entirely
removed by the relatively mild solution used on radiators. They can only
be removed by dipping as performed on bodies and frames. It is likely
even more pin holes will them appear. Paying someone $200.00 for
soldering is likely to effective for only a time. The thin spots in the
tank will continue to rust and will eventually create holes. Sloshing
compounds are very harmful to many older cars fuel and carb. systems. Do
not use them. It's a quick fix that will cause clogging in the future.
The only and best way short of installing a new tank is to send the tank
to one the Tank-Renu outlets (no financial interest etc.), where they
will be dipped, repaired and coated both inside and out with a teflon
material that is impervious to fuel. They advertise in Hemmings. I had
my TR4A tank done for about $175.00, and its been fine for nearly 5
years. I have also had other tanks done on classic and antique cars.
Good luck. Jerry Oliver.