Re: Ignition light revisited

To: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Subject: Re: Ignition light revisited
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 08:18:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bill :

Shorted battery cells are certainly a possibility.  Try charging the
battery from an external source and see if the voltage comes up.  If the
battery is good, the voltage should rise to at least 11-12 volts fairly
rapidly, and stay there with the charger disconnected.  If the voltage
drops back to 9 within an hour or two (battery disconnected from car),
you probably have a shorted cell (or cells).

Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have both a bad battery _and_ a
charging system problem.  If the battery is bad, you should replace it
first, to make troubleshooting the charging system easier.  But, be sure
not to leave your new battery discharged for any length of time, as that
can ruin it quickly.

Some places that sell batteries will test your old one, free of charge
(no pun intended).  Pep Boys (a local auto parts store) and Sears are
two that I've been to.  I believe they give you a fair test, even though
they would like to sell you a new battery.  YMMV

Sears used to offer a charging system test for almost nothing, but I
don't know if they still do.

Randall