Re: Ignition light revisited dated: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 07:58:32 -0400

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition light revisited dated: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 07:58:32 -0400
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:41:56 -0400 (EDT)

While we're on the subject of alternators, I have a quick question.

I have my 1979 Spitfire on the road (rear spring was broken, but that
was pretty much expected when I bought it!!)  Now I have a battery that
after a couple days of driving will no longer start the car.  A volt
meter shows the battery to be at only 9 volts.  But, when the car is
running, it also shows only 9 volts.  Is it possible that the battery
being bad (possible dead cells, after all, it is probably 14 year old
as the car appears to have spent at least the last 9 years sitting in
a garage or barn.) would keep the charging system from functioning or
do I need to look for a further problem beyind the battery??  And if so,
what should I be looking for??  It is a Lucas alternator, but I didn't
write down which model.  My 1978 shop manual lists a bunch of different
ones, but I don't know if that diversity extended to the 1979 model year
as well.

Any pointers would be appreciated as I want to get it running again.  The
two days I got out of it this weekend were great and when the weather cools
just a little bit it will be even more fun.

Thanks in advance.

bill

--
bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.