Standard Triumph Marque Day - Gaydon, July 4

To: "2000- Register" <2000-Register@autox.team.net>, "Spitfires List" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Standard Triumph Marque Day - Gaydon, July 4
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 23:08:10 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Happy 4th July to our transatlantic cousins. Hope the weather held fine for
you.

It did at Gaydon too. While the crowd this year came nowhere near the 75th
event of last year where there were just over 5000 people and more than 2500
cars, we did pretty well.

The morning started off looking overcast with every portent of rain - but
old Mr. Sun came out and it was great.
Over 100 cars had pre-booked for the various Club stands and another 300
showed up during the morning creating a delightful log jam on the northern
and southern arenas. The autojumble was well represented and there were
Triumphs of every age, model and state of repair - from "super concours we
never ever made them like that" through to "sheds" and everything in
between. A photographers paradise and I wish I'd had about ten thousand of
the big ones to make some calculated acquisitions. Spent some time studying
a 76 Spitfire 1500 in Signal Red in anger (for 'er indoors) until my
attention was drawn to an even better Jasmine 1300 Mk 4 with hardtop that I
liked even more. Trouble was, the Jassy wasn't for sale and they both lacked
O/D. A superb 2500 Saloon that was rescued in bits from Experimental before
it went in the crusher was very tempting bait but at 1800 smackeroos was a
bit OTT. I think the vendor who is moving it on owing to the demise of its
former owner might negotiate - but I don't have the space. An outstanding
Dolly Sprint was begging at 1500 quid and drove home unacquired. To all who
came, many thanks. To those who were there in spirit though not in earthly
form - we missed you.

It was a GREAT day - oil leaks were popular, Mr. Lucas in all his varied
forms seemed to be working and thanks to the Register team from
Cheshire/Lancashire/Manchester who had the presence of mind to turn up with
a gas stove and yay hundred gallons of water for a brew.

Jonmac