TR3B: Turn Signal Wiring Problems

Subject: TR3B: Turn Signal Wiring Problems
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 17:37:27 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello all;

The good news is I've more or less finished installing the wiring harness on
my TR3B. The bad news is most things don't work. The turn signals are not
working at all. Here is what things look like:

- Headlights and tail lights work fine
- Front turn signal lights go on and off the same as tail lights (i.e.. in
either side or head lamp position on switch)
- I don't detect any change anywhere when I switch the turn signal back and
forth
- It's a brand new control head from TRF with wiring harness already
attached. The head is not fully attached to the steering wheel hub yet; need
more work aligning the steering outer column first, and want to test things
before going any further.
- Green/Red wire from control head switch appears to be ALWAYS GROUND
- Horns work (so control head switch can't be ALL bad)
- Car is now positive ground with an alternator

What's the best way to test whether the control head turn switch itself is
working? If I find that it is not; how do I fake things out to test the rest
of the turn signal stuff? And why do all my lights require one more wire
(the ground) than the wiring diagram ever shows?

Thanks for any help you may have.

Dave Moag
62 TR3B
77 Spitfire