Platinum plugs

To: "TR-Lillja, Chris" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Subject: Platinum plugs
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:09:46 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
>IMHO--Don't bother with "platinum whatevers" or "Splitfire" etc.
> or funky ignition wires.

Chris,

Wellllllll....,  IMHO - Platinum spark plugs ARE the way to go.  I have
always run them in my cars, including the TR3, although I picked up a set of
Champion L87's for the break-in as I was a little concerned over fouling the
very fine platinum center electrode, during the initial startup of the new
engine.  I believe that platinum plugs provide a better burn new, as well as
much reduced wear, hence degradation over the life of the spark plug.

Many people, including Ken Gillanders (in the TCSC? Tech tips #2?) have
shown HP increases on the dynamometer with Platinum plugs.  Ken talks about
a 5HP gain on a TR 2-4 engine, but also noted that a broken center electrode
wire sidelined the race car shortly afterward.

BTW - I can confirm you comments about solid copper core wires.  I use them
in my TR3, as well as my Norton motorcycle. (Try it Chris, your Norton will
love you for it.) Although I haven't noticed anything when driving the
Triumph (maybe because the sheet metal acts as a shield) I recall seeing
people fiddle with their radios when I pulled up next to them when riding
the Norton.  It was always good for a laugh, as my ignition and solid copper
plug wires were screwing up THEIR radios.  ;-)

Later,

Jack (loving platinum spark plugs) Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando
Hillsdale, NJ
My car show: http://www.NJTriumphs.org/westwood/home.html