Commission Vs Body Number (Herald)

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Commission Vs Body Number (Herald)
From: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 13:22:20 +0100
Hi,
        Some listers will remember that I recently bought a 1959 Herald Saloon
as (yet) another project. The commission number is G6751, and the body
number attached to the car is GM3XXX (that is three thousand and
something I can't remember!), whereas the Heritage Certificate which
arrived this morning shows the body number as being GC3XXX (the same
number with a different prefix). All of the later (1960 onwards) Heralds
I have recorded have GC as the Body number, but I have a spare early
Bulkhead which still has the body number attached, and that too is a GM.
Were both series of body numbers actually issued, or were the prefixes
interchangeable (as the Heritage cerificate would imply)? If the latter
is true, there is a discrepancy of around 3000 units between the body
and commission numbers of my car, which seems very strange for a car
this early. I have noticed a similar discrepancy between commission and
body numbers on later (GC) cars, but I didn't think it strange once the
number series had run a little higher.
        Anyone got any views on this (Andy)?
                Cheers,
                        Bill.

--
                            This Message sent by:
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup