TR4 vs TR6

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: TR4 vs TR6
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:24:19 -0400
Folks,

All this talk of comparisons between the TR4 and the TR6 are, in my mind,
missplaced.  Comparing the (unsmogged) TR4 of the 60's to the (smogged)
TR6 imported to the US is unfair.  If Triumph continued to produce and
export
the TR4 to the US into the 70's it would be a pale cousin of the 60's model

just as the US TR6 is a pale cousin to the European TR6.

After driving Cameron's TR6 in Scotland I can attest to the effect that
150+
HP has on the car.

The TR4 was a great car in its time.  The TR6 was a great car in its time.
The times were, however, different and the TR6 had to address issues
that the TR4 did not.

My first TR was a TR4.  My second TR was (is) a TR6.  What impressed me
the most about the TR6 was the smoothness of that wonderful inline 6
cylinder engine.  There are a few other refinements (such as seats) but
if you are looking for a luxury ride buy a Toyota.  When I want to get
looks
I drive the TR3.  That car makes people look and comment.  And the
anachronistic nature of the car is one of its greatest appeals.  The
carriage key is a trip and the hand crank is fun, too.

The prefference of the TR4 over the TR6 (or vice versa) is just that -
personal
prefference.  But to say that one is "better" is to confuse fact with
opinion.

Now I will get off of mu soap box and get back to work on my TR8!

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8