Re: Wife vs. TR6 Tires

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Subject: Re: Wife vs. TR6 Tires
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:44 -0800
Phil wrote: What are these tires that I have?  I don't want to waste a
four-wheel alignment on the "wrong" tires.  Does anyone know what a Michelin
185 HR-15 XVS-P is?  They are some years old.  ARE they some kind of light
truck tire?  The "P" indicates passenger, of course, but apparently these
are fairly heavy-duty tires.  What's "HR"?  What's an "XVS" Michelin?
Should I be using these heavy (?) tires on my car?
--------------
Phil - Relax.  The HR is simply the speed rating.  H = 130 mph max sustained top
speed (I think - anyone out there who can confirm?).  R = radial (versus bias
ply).  I believe that Michelin still offers the XVS type tire, and that it was
one of their earlier efforts at an "all season" tire.  Don't know how likely you
are to find them, as Michelin has since come out with other, presumably more
sophisticated all-season tires since.

"Should" you be using them on your TR6?  Well, it's a question of preference
really.  If you want to run something else, toss em.  If they have tread left
and the car rides fine, run em.  If your wife locks you out of the house, I hear
Joe Curry has a tent with a central vaccum system named Monica that he will rent
to you cheap.  :-)

Ross Vincenti
Temporarily Triumphless