RE: TRS; Project "zoom"; LeMans

To: "'Kai Radicke'" <mowogmg@pil.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TRS; Project "zoom"; LeMans
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:17:35 -0500

Kai Radicke wrote:

> For those of you that happened to catch Legends of Motorsport this evening
> on SpeedVision, you will remember that it focused on the 1960 24 Heures du
> Mans race.  And more specifically the program emphasized Triumph's Project
> "zoom" cars... the Triumph TRS'.

I too happened to catch this gem while waiting for the next segment of
Speedvision's 20 hours of LeMans coverage. What a treat!

The film, done by the Triumph factory's public relations staff to document
its LeMans effort, spends some considerable time explaining the cars'
reduced speed after the engine problem that affected all three team cars.
Noting that a decision had to be made to either retire the cars or press on
at reduced speed in order to finish, the announcer intones:

"The Triumph Team and its management share the sporting approach of Triumph
owners everywhere: 'Press on, but take it easy, we'll have a go.' How very
British.

Alan de Cadenay, the host of "Legends of Motorsport", commented after the
film that "Today the Triumph name is but a misty memory." Apparently he
doesn't get out much.

Jim Hill
Madison WI