Yet Another Mystery Part!

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Yet Another Mystery Part!
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:45:46 -0700 (PDT)
I pulled the passenger's side front fender off the TR4 today- good news,
it's not completely and utterly rusted through like the LHS was.  Bad
news, I've still gotta fix a helluva lot of metal.

One thing that's been bothering me is what Vicky Brit calls the "Panel
Filler-FR Fender"- a little shred of metal that lives beside the headlamp
bucket.  (pn 11-187 for VB)  Both sides of my car have this bit of metal
attached differently- the right with (bad) tack welds, the left with
Bondo.  So I don't know how it's "supposed" to work.

I had originally intended on not telling anyone about it, and just welding
in new metal wherever there was rust, and making it look nice, but it's
too late now ;-)  Can anyone tell me the scoop on this bit o' steel?  How
is it fastened?  What does it bolt to?  The Haynes book never mentioned
the removal of the bolts in it, so I suspect it's supposed to stay on the
body tub (it didn't, in both cases... was More Stuck to the fender I
suppose)

I've tried to take pictures of what I currently have but it's
unrecognizable for the most part (ever seen pictures of "Titanic"?)... and
I'm not going to pay $25 for a new Panel Filler; just want to know where
it's supposed to go.

TIA,
-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm