Re: alternator question

To: greg@cmc.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: alternator question
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:20:26 EDT
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/10/99 12:14:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, greg@cmc.net
writes:

>  I need to hook up the alternator in my spit-6 autocrosser.  All the
original
>  wiring is long since gone (removed hastily with no notes on where anything
>  goes - oops)  I have one of the Lucas alternators with the three connector
>  plug-in.  It has the black plastic cover on the back.
>
>  Joe Curry tells me this is an internally regulated alternator-he said he
>  would look at the wiring on his car for me but he is understandably busy
>  with his move, and I would like to get it hooked up so I can go racing this
>  weekend.

>  I don't claim to know how this stuff works, but I can hook wires up if I
>  know what needs to be connected to what.  Anyone out there have some ideas?

Greg,

The plug on the back of your alternator should have three terminals, two
large ones and a smaller one. The two larger terminals should be connected
together inside the unit. If you can verify this, then here's what you need
to do to get it running (I'm assuming originality is not important, and
you'll be wiring it from scratch).

Connect a large (10 gauge at least) wire from one of the large terminals to
the battery. Ignore the other large terminal. Connect a smaller wire (14
gauge is adequate) from the smaller terminal to one side of the alternator
warning lamp. Connect the other side of the alternator warning lamp to the
ignition side of the ignition switch. If you no longer have the alternator
warning light in your car, you will need to add one, using a 2-3 watt bulb.
That's it. After you have it connected, and with the engine at 1500 rpm or
better, check for voltage on the battery. If it is over 14 volts or so, the
alternator is working as it should.

To help you understand this, look at the web site:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator-overview.html

In figure 5, you'll see that alternator terminals "2" and "B" are connected
at the battery. In your alternator, they are connected inside the alternator,
which is the same thing. The warning lamp, connected between the ignition
switch and the alternator terminal "1" is vital to the function of the
alternator. Terminals "2" and "B" correspond to the large terminals on your
alternator, while terminal "1" is the smaller terminal on your unit.

>  I looked at the wiring diagrams on the web page that someone posted (very
>  nice, BTW), but they appear to have a two wires coming from alternator, and
>  one of them goes to a "control box", whatever that is (regulator??)

I would be interested in seeing that site - could you provide the URL?

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74