TR4 ramblings

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 ramblings
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:28:20 -0700 (PDT)
Just to share today's adventure a little bit--

I pulled the grille, signals, and lights out of the front of my TR4.
(labeled everything labelable, and baggied the light assemblies).  Also
removed the right headlamp bucket; the car has been cross-eyed since I got
it and I finally noticed that the front valence had been stoved in by
about half an inch (and covered with YET MORE BONDO).

Today's excercise was like pulling teeth.  Really big, crusty, disgusting
ones.  I had to start by straightening the frame member (the one that
holds the front bumper on) or rather, altering its angle of bend...

Enter the oxy-acetylene torch, and the Monster Pry Bar (forget those
little hand-held jobs, this puppy is normally used for pulling spikes out
of train tracks), some chain, and your hero (me).

Moved all flammable stuff away from the area of operation.  This included
my aftermarket coolant catch-tank; it got placed out of the way (on the
engine).  Also tied away all wires and hosed the whole place down with
water.

Got the frame member red-hot, thumped it with prybar.  Chained prybar to
bumper mount, got frame red hot, heaved on prybar.  Bent frame member.
Whew.  I have pictures for the strong of will ;-)

Next task: pull the body back to shape.  This involves more chains,
prybars (no heat yet- this metal's thin), and grunting.  So far I have
pulled the right headlamp region out almost 1/2" and it's getting close.
I think the DPO went into the ditch and smacked a fairly big rock as the
bumper is nice and straight; just the frame and what-it's-connected-to was
fouled up.

In the process of wrestling I also managed to bust the stay rod end (on
the body)- it'll be a bit of tricky welding with the 000 tip to get it
repaired.  Got the operating theater prepared once again, so it's back
behind the torch I go...

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm