Re: Major TR250 progress and some questions (seats, body, ILregistration

To: Skip Montanaro <skip@mojam.com>
Subject: Re: Major TR250 progress and some questions (seats, body, ILregistration)
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 23:19:23 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> Now that I'm at that point, I'm a bit in the dark about holding the body
> fitting pads and strips to the frame while placing the body on the frame
> (contact cement? silicon caulk?), whether or not there should be any sort of
> glue between those fittings and the body, and whether there are any body
> alignment issues.  There was some sort of soft white gunk under the washers
> and bolts that connect the body to the frame in the cockpit, presumably to
> ward off water and noxious fumes.  What was it?  What should I use during
> reassembly?

The white goop is one of those things that is specified by the manual but
is devilishly hard to find (Seal-All?).  Personally I would use roof
cement (the stuff that you can put in a caulking gun) because it's asphalt
/ tar based and won't make anything rust.  However, it does go brittle
with time (LOTS of time, and exposure), so I wouldn't put it on too thick.

You could also "stick" them on with some heavy grease.

> I ordered two new seat diaphragms and hooks.  I'm going to be driving the
> car from Albany, NY to Chicago, IL in about a month, so I figure the extra
> support will add substantially to my comfort.  I think I saw something here
> awhile ago that suggested that I could replace the diaphragms without a
> complete tear-down of the seats.  Any tips?

Work slowly and be inventive with your tools.  Those diaphragms are pretty
hard to get on.  I think I did the side hooks first, then the back ones,
then the front ones (only 2, and they're the easiest to reach).  To say
"it's quite a stretch" would be an understatement.

I think I ended up using a spoon handle and my long-handled 1/4" wrench
(Professional Series- extra thin, extra long, and extra smooth), as well
as lots of grunting, sweating, and swearing.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm