RE: TR Restoration Questions for the List

To: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>, <SDIndigo@aol.com>
Subject: RE: TR Restoration Questions for the List
From: philpatt@kalamazoo.net
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 21:30:12 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> >Hi. I am in the planning stages of restoring 2 TR3s
> simultaneously with my
> >son. I have some body & fender and mechanical experience. Also have owned
> >many British cars in the past. but what I need to know is the straight
> >answers to a few basic questions before we start:
> >1. Can it be done for $10,000 or less for each car? ( not counting the
> cost
> >for equipment )

Well, I believe this can be done, if you do the work yourself....  I'm
restoring a 54 TR2, and have spent about $4000 on parts alone.  New interior
(leather), new weather equip (top, tonneau, side curtains)...

The downside?  I'm doing the stripping, blasting, body work, painting, etc
myself (Well, me & my Dad).

It may not be a concourse trailer queen, but I will know every bit of that
car when we're done.  And, I can proudly say, "I did it myself", for what
that's worth.

> >2. Sand blast or chem dip the body and frame?

Personally, I'm more afraid of chem dip seepage than I am panel warpage....

> >3. sandblast cabinet or portable blaster or both?

We're using a portable blaster, but I have access to a cabinet who's owner
swears it's a wonderful thing....

Hope that's helpful.  Enjoy the process!

Phil Pattengale
54 TR2  - TS1440-LO {project #1}
56 TR3  - TS13872-L  {project #2}
philpatt@kalamazoo.net