thrust into TR4 differential

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: thrust into TR4 differential
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:08:32 EDT
Since my body is floating in air - my TR4 body that us - I thought I might as
well open up the differential to see if that was where the little clunk type
feeling was coming from. Pinion and crown gear seem tight and wearing on
proper part of tooth. The sun and planet gears are a bit sloppy though. I
could squeeze a .025 gauge behind a sun gear and in general I think there is
.010 too much clearance all around the four gears. Anyone fit new
thrustwashers without pulling out the inner gear cage? And can I buy oversize
thrusts to take up any wear on the gears themselves - and who would be the
best vendor to buy them from?
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74