OD gear oil- info from Redline

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: OD gear oil- info from Redline
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:28:47 -0500
I emailed Redline and asked about the GL-4, GL-5 gear oils and corrosion, and
their recommendation re: what oil to use with the OD.  My original manual
for a TR4A says to use 70-90 EP gear oil.  I know that other manuals say
something
else for the SAME OD!  Anyway here are their answers:

GL-5 brass corrosion.  Only a problem at elevated temperature (300 degrees), but
the redline GL-5 does NOT cause corrosion of brass at anytemp.  BUT it will
discolor the brass at high temps. NOTE:  Most street transmissions never reach
that high a temp, so any GL-5 ought to be OK.

About the best match for 1967-era  70-90 EP gear oil?  They recommend their
MT-90.

-Tony