Re: Pale Yellow

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pale Yellow
From: donp@ncweb.com (Don Pikovnik)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:37:59 -0500 (EST)
>Don,
>As with other paint colors, the name Pale Yellow was reissued in the
>form of another shade.  The Primrose color carries a different mix code
>from the earlier Pale yellow according to the PPG people.  Also the
>later color was issued in 1966 whereas the color in question was used in
>the 50's.  Same thing we found out about the now infamous "Ice Blue"
>
>Regards,
>Joe

Joe,

My records show only one Pale Yellow used on Triumphs.  It was used on
TR3's, ICI 3220.  If PPG reissued the color with another paint code in 1966
after TR3's ceased production, was it to update the original color to a
modern paint?  If so, the color should be the same, or very close to the
original.  The ICI color register refers to 3220 as "Pale Yellow (Primrose)"
which is the name I use.

You may be interested to know that MG, Austin-Healey, and Jaguar all shared
a color called Pale Primrose.  All three were the same color, ICI 3297.  AH
and MG mfg. code was YL.12, Jag code was 251. (Etype)  ICI also has a redder
variation of the color (ICI 6974) and a darker variation (WH13).  The
variations are reformulations of a color when a significant number of
vehicles in the field are found to not match the standard, usually
attributed to poor quality control from the factory.

Healey also had a color called Sunburst/Primrose Yellow, YL.3 ICI 3011 used
on sprites.

Yours truly,

Don Pikovnik
Coloramic Process, Inc.