Speaking of Spit conversions...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Speaking of Spit conversions...
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:03:25 -0800
Just curious here, folks... I'm not sure why anyone would do this, as there
would not be much HP gain over the stock Spitfire motor, but I wonder if
anyone has installed a Datsun A14 motor in a Spit?  Seems like it'd be a
relatively easy exchange... maybe it'd make more sense in the earlier
1147cc Spits.

I had a '76 B210 with this A14 (1400cc) and although in the stock form they
don't make much power, they are great little engines.  Durable and simple
and probably relatively inexpensive.

It also makes me think about the possibilities of fitting a Datsun
L16/L18/L20 in there, but that's a pretty tall motor... probably would
require a big hood bulge!!

Before I rebuilt my TR6 motor I (briefly) pondered fitting a Datsun L24 in
there... like out of a 240Z... I ended up making the right choice by
rebuilding the TR6 motor.  The L24 has seven main bearings so it's about
half again as long as the four main bearing TR6 motor of nearly identical
displacement.  It's also quite tall.

Don't tell anyone, but after Triumphs I'm a Datsun man!!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6
and, formerly:
1976 Datsun B210 4dr (stolen from me TWICE in the Seattle area, the second
time for good!)
1973 Datsun 240Z (sold two years ago so that I could start driving my TR!!)