Steering wheel shear bolts removal

To: mood@erols.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering wheel shear bolts removal
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 99 10:45:34

Jon Moody asks...

>I'm having a problem removing my steering wheel column.  I cant get the
>shear bolts off the ignition switch.  I tried grinding a little slot in
>one end, but no dice.  Do they have do be drilled out?  Any been there
>done thats appeciated!  Thanks!!

John:
I have done this twice, and found by cutting slots in the top end of the
broken off shear bolts with a dremel cut-off wheel, I could easily
turn out the two bolts with a stubby screwdriver (they weren't very tight).
I found out the hard way that it doesn't take very much torque to twist off the
notched bolts they use, so they should not be very tight (except by corrosion).

Alternatively, you could, with a part of a hacksaw (or dremel cut off
wheel maybe) cut through the slot between the top and bottom halves
of the aluminum housing and cut the two bolts that way.  Or drill them out,
I guess.  Access is the big problem for any approach.

Ray

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.
Civil Engineering Department
Texas A&M University