Re: Advice on RX7 for my son

To: "Dr. Robert Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Re: Advice on RX7 for my son
From: Jeff Johnson <jguy@erinet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:33:57 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Robert;

I've owned two RX7's and worked on others. A couple of things come to mind-
when it
is time for an exhaust system, they are expensive- about $450 US from the
catalytic
converter back. (A 'y' pipe and 2 mufflers).  According to a mechanic that
works on
them, 70 to 80,000 miles is when the seals in the rotor begin to get carbon
deposits
and will not seal on cold start-up. This has happened to mine twice in the last
two
years. I'm thinking that if I were to use a fuel injector cleaner on a more
regular
basis, this might not happen.
If the motor goes, it's difficult to get a replacement as few places want to
rebuild
them.  Also, just about all the parts seem to be 'dealer item only' which can
be a
real wallet drain and it seems that if you can find used parts that they are
just
about as high because the salvage yards know that the dealer is your only
alternative.  Last year I needed a left rear taillight lens- $350 US . Could not
find one at the wrecking yards. I didn't write this to be a wet blanket, but to
point out some things that you might like to know beforehand.
Of course they are fun to drive and $1500 doesn't sound like too much money.

Jeff Johnson
'76 TR6
'89 RX7