tr6 seat diaphragms

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: tr6 seat diaphragms
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:51:23 -0700
There's been a lot of discussion lately about TR6 seat foams. I thought my
slightly saggy seat was in need of a rebuild. It turns out a new diaphragm
is all I need. I installed one on the driver's seat and the seat is back to
normal. There is a catch however...

First, my car is a late, late TR6. Which means it originally has the webbing
type of seat support in place of the rubber diaphragms (check the TRF
catalog for details). A couple of years ago one of the webbing straps on the
driver's seat broke. I had it replaced at an upholstery shop. I don't think
they did a very good job as the seat was still somewhat soft. So recently I
got some new diaphragms from TRF. I began with the driver's side seat but in
order to install the diaphragm, I needed to drill some new holes in the
frame -- the original holes from the webbing frame did not match the
diaphragm holes. No biggie, I drilled the holes and the diaphragm went in
without a hitch. The seat is way more comfortable now and I am sure this is
the cure.

However, I just noticed that the diaphragm has already started to split in a
small section of the middle part (not adjacent to any of the clips). I am
certainly no heavyweight (175 lbs). Did I get a defective part from TRF or
are the new diaphragms really that cheap? What is the opinion of the list on
the replacement diaphragms? Are there better sources than TRF or are all the
diaphragms the same?

FWIW, I plan to call TRF tomorrow and I'm sure they will rectify the
situation but what I really want is to make the repair and forget about it
-- I don't want to install cheap parts which will just fail shortly. I could
always have the webbing straps rebuilt with heavy duty materials but the
diaphragm seems like a better solution (if it works properly!).

Any info greatly appreciated.

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO