TR6 Wheels, Fragile

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Wheels, Fragile
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 08:36:09 -0800
Jeff Slaton wrote:

>THe issue of fragile wheels seen to be in question.  If you think they
>will not break you need to take a closer look at the area between the
>rear bolt holes on each wheel.  I have seen a number of TR6 wheels that
>have hair line cracks between the lug holes.  Especially if you are
>driving a car that has not had uprated springs in the rear.  The
>traditional sag of TR6's create such problems.  Everyone take the time
>to look.  A benefit to up rated springs.

I had the pleasure back in 1990 of pit-crewing for Hardy Prentice who races
a TR3A (or raced... I'm not sure if he's still running) in the SCCA E
Production class.  He told me quite a few things that I will never, ever
forget.  One of which was that TR6 steel wheels shouldn't be torqued to
more than, say, 55 ft/lbs and this was to avoid cracking around the lug
holes.  Too much torque here and the lug nuts will start splitting the
holes.  I realize that the manual calls for a larger torque spec, but I've
been stopping at 55 ever since.  I've yet to have a wheel come loose!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6