Re: Cleaning Caliper Pistons

To: Ct54531@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cleaning Caliper Pistons
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:17:21 -0800
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
In a word... don't!

For a number of reasons! Most stock pistons are "chromed", that is
plated and polished. Blasting could well cut through that coating,
exposing the softer metal underneath which would cause them to wear
faster, be scored more easily. Even uncoated pistons that were blasted
would end up with minor pits that would attract dirt, gunk (technical
term, sorry) and could lead to damage and sticking.

You should be able to clean off old dried fluid residue with rubbing
alcohol and a clean lint-free rag. After the alcohol evaporates, clean
again with clean brake fluid. If damage remains, do yourself and
everyone on the road a favor and relace them with new... too critical a
part to fool around with!

I recently did a rebuild and went with stainless steel for a few dollars
more (total about $100), because the plating on the original type was
flaking off. I don't want that stuff floating around in the system
responsible for stopping my car.

Only if new pistons were absolutely impossible to find would I attempt
to recondition old ones... then if blasting were necessary, I'd only use
a very mild medium like soda (I've never tried this), never sand or
anything that would damage the surface.

Of course, this is just IMHO.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.