TR3-rebuld story part 1

To: " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3-rebuld story part 1
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 99 08:06:30 -0800
>Hi TeriAnn,
> Just wondering how your car is comming.  Have you got it on the road
>yet.
>
>Regards, Greg

Hi Greg,  It's been awhile.

My TR3 rebuild has been an almost constant source of problems and misery
for me but I'm nearing the completion point, sorta.  The sorta means I
already have a long list of stuff to redo.  This was my first attempt at
a restoration project and almost everything that could go wrong has.

Here's the history:

I purchased the car as an almost completed restoration project.  It was
freshly painted and looked nice but wouldn't idle. I paid $1000 to take
the project off the previous owner's hands.  I drove her home and the
rear brake cylinders blew as I parked her.  Cleaning the float bowls of
the SUs, putting a fuel filter in line with the dirty fuel tank and
adjusting the carbs got the engine running OK.  New rear wheel cylinders
and font suspension bushings and I was back on the road.  This was July
'86.  I drove her constantly for 2-1/2 years including commuting 75 miles
a day when the weather was good.  But the front steering was rough and
the suspension just didn't feel right.  During the last half year the #3
plug oil fouled about every 100 miles or so.  I always carried a stash of
clean plugs.  I also noticed that the paint was bubbling up in a
few>places.

So in Jan. 1989 I made the decision to take her off the road for a little
sprucing up.  The plan was to rebuild the engine, the front suspension,
steering and put a fresh interior in her.  The wiring all worked but the
insulation was cracked and looked like a short waiting to happen.  So I
decided to put in a new wiring harness as well.  I hoped to be back on
the road by June for the summer club events.  Like I said I have never
done this before.

TeriAnn Wakeman                                  Border to Border
Santa Cruz, California                          Expedition Society
twakeman@cruzers.com                           "Live the adventure"
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman           http://www.bordertoborder.com